27 Feb Tips to Tame Teen Anxiety That Can Be Used Anywhere, Anytime
Is it just me or do teens seem to be more stressed in this day and age than ever before?
In my practice, I am seeing increasing numbers of teenagers suffering from full on anxiety and depression. What can be done to ease some of their stress? Here are some tips to use anywhere, anytime if you are the parent of a teen.
1. Limit screen time. Be mindful of having boundaries on what teenagers are viewing. Cyberbullying is, unfortunately, still operating in full force.
2. Discuss how to deal with cyberbullying before it happens. Know legal rights and follow up in school settings, if necessary.
3. Get to know your teen’s friends. Are they kind and considerate? Or do they make you feel uncomfortable?
4. Teens often want their own space at this age but look for ways to engage with them in meaningful ways on a daily basis, even if only for a few minutes. They still need to feel connected to you and your family’s values.
5. Consider exposing your teenager to techniques that help them self-regulate their emotions, such as mindfulness. If they show interest, purchase books, audios or a short course of therapy on mindfulness to give them skills that will serve them well into adulthood.