23 Jan Quick Strategies to Feel Calm in a Chaotic World
Every single one of us has 24 hours in a day.
In that same 24 hours, there are many minutes and many more moments when we have a choice. The choice is simple. Do we respond, impulsively, reactively, without thinking or do we respond in a calmer, focused, more mindful sort of way? If you choose to feel more calm in your day to day life then follow these quick strategies from a registered Psychologist and Certified Group Fitness Instructor:
1. As soon as you open your eyes, take three deep breaths. If you are unsure how to deep breathe, visit the audio download section of my website at nurturedlearning.ca, under therapy enhancers.
2. Think of three things you are grateful for. This could include waking up and being alive for another day. Start your day from a place of gratitude.
3. Go about your daily routines more mindfully. For example, when you brush your teeth, just brush your teeth. Do not let your mind wander to other tasks of the day.
4. Eat mindfully. Fuel your body with fresh food and water.
5. Move your body in a way that increases your heartrate to the point that a conversation would be difficult, lift some light weights, stretch your muscles. This can be achieved in as little as 30 minutes. Do this every day.
6. Value sleep. Give your body and mind the rest it needs every night.
7. Greet other people warmly. Give eye contact and show you are interested in them and what they have to say.
8. End your day with some deep breathing and appreciation.